Partial Results

The air quality tests for asbestos have been returned and the presence of asbestos is within the EPA’s “it’s all good” limits. Which is such a relief! I’m giddy glad that we aren’t all breathing through asbestos-lined lungs. The Big Question of the morning is: Is the return of one test (albeit the scariest one) enough to convince us it’s safe to send her to school? None of the mold tests will be back for a few days, no telling about lead and asbestos dust. I heard that the Fire Marshal would be there today. So is one enough? What if we send her back and the place has 9x the legal limit for lead contamination? I’m not particularly interested in using my child’s health to make a show of good faith.

The press knew this afternoon about the results of the asbestos in the air. They didn’t report it until their news programs, of course. Parents weren’t notified until 9:30 last night. There’s something really wrong with that. Again we were notified by email (I replied to the superintendent and reminded him that up this way we don’t all have internet), but the Superintendent did attach PDFs of the reports substantiating the results. He at least as figure out that assertions of safety aren’t enough. I am grateful for that.

There’s been a lot of trouble with the media and the school system’s PR guy. The PR guy keeps saying things like, “…Board of Education said it does regular testing for mold and asbestos levels to ensure the children stay safe.” And we keep saying, “Then where are the records of these tests? If these tests have been done, just show us the results! You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble if this were true just by just showing us the evidence!” And the press never ever questions the PR guy about it. Whatever happened to investigative journalism? I’ve told at least two reporters where to look for proof of that statement – all they have to do is make a phone call.

I’ve missed our little chats.

3 thoughts on “Partial Results

  1. Danielle

    My understanding of lead exposure, is that the lead would have to be ingested (i.e. eating paint chips). I think if they have lead, it’s supposed to be contained, rather than removed.

    I think mold exposure is more of an issue over the long term.

    It’s nice to read about how vigilant you’re being for the sake of these kids! I grew up going to a super old elementary school with floods in the kindergarten, and vestiges of wood stoves in the classrooms. And yes, asbestos.

  2. emily Post author

    Oh yeah – it’s not like they’ve EVER bothered to sand the surface before just painting over it (sand blasting is what caused another Elementary School in the county to be closed for four months while they cleaned up all the weaponized lead paint). But I have found no evidence that the paint was ever sealed properly. The kids do touch the walls and spend a lot of time with their hands in their mouths. Also turns out there’s no hot water in the school.

  3. Colleen

    Wait… All this AND no hot water??!? Who is in charge? What have they done with the money that is supposed to be earmarked for maintence and repairs? Arruugggghhhh!

Comments are closed.